Friday, June 29, 2012

The Heartbreakers - "L.A.M.F.T.M.J.B. - A Mixed Attempt For The Best Mixes" (WAXCD 007)

Hi there! Hope everything’s OK for all of you. “The Nightmare Returns”, perhaps this must be the right title/marquee for the new WAX CD. You know (I’m sure you do), when you’re young (loud and snotty) your only ambition in record buying things, is just to find the money and grab your bloody passion’s object. Actually at this age, your only ambitions are always a 'passion’s object' matter: girls, records, bikes etc. After your 25 or something, the lust’s being replaced by geekness. Come on, admit it! This entire ‘punk rock’ attitude obliterates for good. Cause the first time I purchased ‘L.A.M.F.’ (I was probably 14) had sounded to me like THEE record, THEE pattern and THEE way rock & roll should sound and look! Fuckin’ dangerous, sloppily tight (the brilliance of the Rolling Stones it’s being built on this formula and Johnny as a big fan of theirs, knew where to look) with more than obvious the evidence of the street culture (drugs… unfortunately). No problems then with fidelities, “muddy” mixes and overall sounding. Life was being taken as it had come, a day by day trip; don’t give a fuck for all the rest (except maybe once in a three months, when you have to find the way you’re going to defend yourself to your parents for the bad credits at school)! My crappy stereo and the absence of money in my pockets had left no space for such thoughts anyway. I wish sometimes to have still the same concerns in life I had then. ..
Fast forward some years from that era, in one of at the time usual daily walk in the few cool record stores of the city (now there's nothing), and a Jungle CD under the title of ‘L.A.M.F. – The Lost ’77 Mixes’ makes its presence in front of my eyes and guess what, it screwed my life ever since. A better stereo has been gained already the previous months, after a really hard trying by my side to gather up the bread-and-butter, but the a lot clearer version of the ’77 Mixes’ started almost instantly giving me the headaches. Mind that I didn’t say ‘better’ but ‘a lot clearer’. And the ‘a lot clearer’ phrase means more audible for sure, no less aggressive thankfully but not securely the one the band got in their minds (or the fans if I judge from my point of view). Oh well, who knows what do they have actually? Heroin’s like the best pussy around they say and quite logically no mind for the best possible results even if they claimed for the opposite, right? (My fave of the ‘breakers gang) Walter Lure drenched the situation in sound, with ‘Too Much Junkie Business’… In fact the added part next to ‘L.A.M.F.’ on our try here (T.M.J.B.) has been taken from this stellar sign tune for the obvious reasons. After all, all Heartbreakers ‘career’ wasn’t circled by powders, syringes and cold turkeys? Anyway, a little later came to my hands this Johnny’s ‘Revisited’ antiseptic attempt with Tony James ‘help’ (Generation X, Sigue Sigue Sputnik), which to be honest was a huge disappointment at the time. Actually still is cause with a few exceptions (‘Pirate Love’ most notably) succeed to overpower the dynamite. You need a ‘real talent’ to do such thing, right..? I’m not sure if it’s a totally avoidable release (try find the Jap, A LOT better – still away from the ‘breakers live majesty though) but I’m sure most of us fans, got it or kept it for historical reasons mostly. Cleaning is a good idea (that sadly Johnny never did) for drugs, not for rock & roll. Adding bits and pieces to by that time recorded material, made the situation even worse. Brian Young (Rudi/Sabrejets), a HUGE Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers fan in an email he sent me on this subject have written me:

Everyone I knew who saw the Heartbreakers live in ‘77 said they wiped the floor with everyone onstage - but if they couldn't get it together in the studio they had no one to blame but themselves. I didn't like the Tony James remix either. Too 80's and what would Tony James know about producing records anyway? He certainly didn't produce Generation X's records and when he did Sputniks they sounded feeble....He was probably just cheap... I knew A. Hauser from when he managed the raped and he's a really nice genuine guy so I know he did his best - but if you ask me a lot of the excuses for the bad sound of ‘LAMF’ are simply that. Excuses...

The truth? Quite honestly, I'm now with the Brian's side of thinking and you'll gonna know why a little later. Btw, Brian did a very cool piece on the Heartbreakers fatal existence for the 'Punk 77' website as 'Cursed, Poisoned and Condemned' and you should check it out without second thoughts, here and here. Really cool bloke!

You probably got it that I’m a totally bloated bastard, right? If you shake your head in affirmative to the previous, means that it isn’t difficult to imagine how this fire came to me head, haha! The ‘idea’ to cross paths with record’s history, was for years something intriguing. I mailed my comrade if he’s in and the reply from the dark shelter of France came almost instantly, ‘YES’! Ha! I knew I was right for one more time to base upon JP! And just like that our deep dive in ‘L.A.M.F.’s confused route, began. Our vaults opened, records and CDs (officially released or/and not) started to come out and our thoughts on how this ‘project’ might/should be built were exchanging rapidly. That was the easy part… “We’re gonna use all the songs original pressings had as uterus, and we’re gonna pick up the best in our opinion versions plus all the extras that appeared later and we can use as bonuses, tracks that's now widely known and recorded most properly from the post Heartbreakers bands (Johnny solo, The Waldos, Jerry solo, The Heroes etc.) but hither executed from their ‘breakers themselves, OK? “ I mailed my associate. Sounds cool, right? You betcha! There goes the hard stuff. We were missing pressings (we still miss the ‘legendary’ original Track cassette – anyone? - which many Walter Lure included, bring as evidence of not a ‘bad mix’ situation but of ‘bad mastering’) so we had to find them. I remember as well that when I’ve send my questions to Mr. Lure for the interview, next email from his side was if I was writing a book or something? Imagine in what heights my grind had come! Anyway, we tried but failed to come up with the tape and somewhere in there we stopped a little to think if a 'definitive' essay from our side will be 'complete' without this DAMN (ancient to all of our readers below 16) thing? I spent countless hours on old fanzines, internet forums, every possible (little or not) detail anyway, to see if this actually apply to reality or if it's just an urban legend that almost everyone helped grow (from die hard fans to the surviving band members), as the only 'true' evidence of the 'original mix'? I mean, Walter had then written me: “The problem was in the translation from tape to vinyl because it always sounded good in the studio on tape but lousy on vinyl”…. He can’t be wrong, right? He was THERE! But where in the bloody hell can we found this and in a MINT condition? I tried ePay, but no sir! I tried the internet for a possible download, but no luck…
And then Jean Philippe’s ‘bad habit’ resurrected… My mate debouched for other countries copies/pressings! Thank god, some things never change! He wasn’t in need for any further information by me and he didn’t needed as well my ‘knowledge’ for the presumably among the Heartbreakers fans rumors for the ‘excellent’ Scandinavian and Italian pressings… At first he surfaced (naturally) the French print: 

I gave a careful listening to the French ‘L.A.M.F.’ LP, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's no Hi-Fi for sure, but I like the fact that's it's the exact opposite of ‘Revisited’ version: the French LP sounds almost "unmixed". Vocals have no reverb, it's like demos. The drums on "I Wanna BeLoved" intro (or "Baby Talk") sound very, very thin but very natural. The French (or probably any non-UK LP) is definitely different from "The Lost 77 Mixes". Acoustic guitar on "It's Not Enough" is mixed upfront on "The Lost 77 Mixes", while it's not on the French LP. I guess that most people would prefer "The Lost 77 Mixes", but I don't. As for the ‘Revisited’ version, it's almost a joke. It sounds like it was remixed by a kid. The way the drums are far too much "enhanced" on "Pirate Love" is beyond silly. But I love it! It's ‘LAMF’ still! Anyway, I checked UK vs. French original LPs, and here's what I noticed:

* All of side one and "Goin' Steady" on side two are different, and the French LP is much better, especially on "Born To Lose" and "Chinese Rocks" which are pretty bad on the UK LP.
* The rest (side 2 minus "Going Steady") is the same mastering/mix. I hear differences on these tracks, but I think it's a matter of pressing quality. Despite its obvious mastering problems (on side 1), the UK version is a better pressing than the French one, as it's got more bass.
* "It's Not Enough" doesn't fade out on the French LP, but it does on the UK LP. I guess that ending a song that way is a studio job, not a pressing plant job: the UK and French pressing plants didn't receive the same "tapes". So that's not just a manufacturing problem?

Didn’t I tell you? When it comes for rock & roll we’re 100% geeks and junkies! We‘re corroded to the bone but we’ll never see it as an academic work, OK? It’s an adventurous and uncompromising trip for the truth behind the legend. Anyway, I gave a (two, three, four) listen(s) and I wasn’t able to go against my buddy. After all he’s the WTS Analog Department Engineer (we have a loose screw, right!?  - it’s obvious now), I’m the guy with the long lasting adherences (the doc said I have already too much inside my head to deal with more...) and his conclusions destroyed twice my thoughts! Thanks mate! Aaarrrgggg! My wife for two months now grumping (OK I know, she’s totally right, she married a mentally ill person) that when our kids go to bed, I rush myself to the headphones or the library but… I CAN'T HELP STOP DOING IT. (Sorry babe, you knew what you had in your hands, don’t tell me I didn’t warned you!) As long as I was trying to gather information from a million possible sources, or to reply JP in what changes maybe we should make for the CD Covers (a whole lot different but same ball bustin’ story – try find on the net a good resolution Heartbreakers pic and you’ll understand…) my friend was keep sending me bombs. 'Another pressing, another story' to paraphrase Only Ones’ signature song. For example, I wanted to buy a Jap “Revisited” version to see if there were more in there (and actually THERE ARE MORE IN THERE!) but my part for one more time was catching me up. I was enthusiast at first, wrecked in the end. Another damn version to discover, master and have an upshot at it… Fuck!  And I knew already that the Heartbreakers singles and EPs have sounded ‘different’ to my ears but I didn’t have the knowledge to express things. To cut a long story short, JP’s comments in every email of the countless we exchanged were GREAT (we stopped at 69 as I see now, ALL for this nut case), enlightening, but on the majority of the things we put our hands upon, we faced the reality of the non identical versions, making things dizzier (in diverse with what Walter Lure have told me, I’m quite sure now that THEY DO EXIST 300 plus different mixes!), so I started go back and forth to this ‘chain-message’ shit gmail has, to see how to edit and place in this post the information that maybe some of you wanted to know. Not longer than 30 minutes of occupation, I go ‘@#$%’!!! Man, it’s easier to steal Monica Bellucci from Vincent Cassel’s hands, than to do this... In the end I gave up things. I ‘enforced’ JP to gather up his audiophile stuff (you have no idea how HARD was that too, I had to play at the same time early Gun Club and Cramps records, mumbling on top some voodoo spells a witch from the French side of New Orleans have taught me – a great chocolate chick btw, and menace him with transmogrify into Sarah Palin’s animal print bikini –  I’m sure some of you might find it not a bad change, and all these just to write a few words...) cause I’m not going to write a bloody book here, OK? Believe it or not, it worked! It needed still a little editing but hey, my part rejected all his fears about writing (I told you man, I’m no Hemingway either!). So more or less this is our conclusion:

It's a well known fact something went wrong with the mix and / or mastering of the original Track 1977 LP. Well that's not exactly true. The 1977 UK LP has a muddy mix indeed, but UK 7"/12" or LP for other countries is fine (but harder to find). The 1994 ‘Lost 77 Mixes’ sounds pretty good, but it's not exactly the original mix. If you want to know how the original UK LP sounds, play the ‘Lost 77 Mixes’ on your stereo and put a blanket on your speakers. No high frequencies. The original French pressing is much better (play the ‘Lost 77 Mixes’ on your stereo, remove the blanket from the speakers, but kick the woofer as hard as you can, you'll get the idea: no low frequencies). Now, we found the original Italian LP and is as good as it gets, with the right balance between frequencies, a real good in-yer-face mix, nothing muddy or thin here, that's why most of the tracks we selected for your listening pleasure are from this rare LP. Pressings from other countries (Germany, Sweden, Holland) are probably good too (or even better), but please remember we have to save some $/€ for feeding our kids. And no, we haven't heard the cassette version (please share it if you can). ‘The Lost 77 Mixes’ is cheap & easy to find, but it's definitely different from the original mixes. For example, the 'Pirate Love' guitar intro (right channel) on the Italian LP has much more "crunch" (it KILLS!), and there's less reverb on the drums. 'It's Not Enough' has much more acoustic guitar on the ‘Lost 77 Mixes’ than on the Italian LP, and so on. The 1984 remix, known as 'Revisted' is so-so, but it has its moments, that's why we included some tracks from it, presented here in the best sounding version we could find, that is a Japanese vinyl. Neighbour warning: 'Pirate Love' has wall-shaking bass drum. 'Do You Love Me' for example is from the original 1977 'One Track Mind' EP. It's the same take as on 'Lost Mixes' 1st CD, but with a completely different 'pogo dancing' mix (much more bass). Now you can hear that Billy Rath is actually playin'. We had a hard time gathering the best sounding ‘L.A.M.F.’ & ‘L.A.M.F.’-related tracks from our vaults, and we hope you'll enjoy'em as much as we do. Play it loud, of course!

We started this as a ‘just for kicks’ project like always, exactly the way we created all other WAX CDs. We have absolutely no intention to replace original, ‘Revisited’ or ‘Lost ’77 Mixes’. You must see our aspect like a cassette tape we used to create by tons us older ones; 15-17 years ago for our own listening pleasure, our friends and nothing else. We‘re HUGE Heartbreakers and Johnny Thunders fanatics and since we’re hooked enough, we thought this was a great idea to dive in, feast our hearts out from our every day routine, and give a possible ‘new look’ on one of our VERY favorite records ever. It just happened to share it with more, haha! As you can see for yourself we didn’t use the usual nowadays stamp of ‘Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers’ for our ‘L.A.M.F.’ version but the original of ‘Heartbreakers’ cause in our minds Johnny was just an equal member of the four. Waldo and Jerry created many songs together; possibly the best and they were a kick ass fine songwriting combo to not to be mentioned by yours truly! Billy’s another story, a happily after MANY years of no sign, and on going (check out the Broken Hearts and the Street Pirates). And it’s a bloody shame as the years gone by, the legend of JT to grow up (so) alone and those of ‘the other three’ to stay in the shadow. For the White Trash Soul duo, when we’re talking about the Heartbreakers, we‘re not having in our minds the Traveling Wilburys blonde guy’s band, OK..?

It was a quite enough busy winter for both of us. We’d like to thank you all for the continuing support. If it weren’t for you all, giving us your attention by commenting or just ‘hitting’ our site, then we have no reason to do all these! We’re gonna slow down a little a bit for the summer, cause we need some rest. Crank this fucker up high just like Johnny used to say: “Turn this shit P.A. up! Yo, gimme some fuckin’ reverb!

As usual no bootlegging on WAX CDs. Share and dance loosely!

We hope all of you guys and gals to have a great summer!!! See ya around!



75 comments:

  1. FLACs:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?qgbr0muudw11u5x

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ui9pxx6ru566x6x

    http://www.mediafire.com/?hoj7vpqubhnbp16

    Lossy:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?447yg68ocq8885e

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all: thank you for this hard work! To tell you the truth, I tried several times, for fun and certainly with less material, to do this kind of Heartbreakers Tape and never made it! (I also tried with the Stogees, hu hu...)
    For me, the Heartbreakers was THE BAND and still is after all these years.
    It's always a pleasure reading your blog and this wax CD is the best summer gift I could dream of!
    All the best for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea DD! We're gonna see what we have in our vaults for 'Raw Power' cause it's the same fuckin'story and it is actually one of our VERY fave LPs too!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Raw Power... I think the recent remater presented the Bowie mix in a good way (though I wish James Williamson would have given RP the Kill City treatment). The different mixes (of S&D) are notable. What I would really wish for is a collection of the best rough mixes, like Rough Power done right. Maybe that could make a nice WAX project.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that today you can download nearly any music around, this is the last great thing (or the Next Big Thing) musically on the entire web!! Your job (and Jean Philippe's) never will be enough estimated: Thanks, thanks, thanks!! Sorry for my English and have a good summer. Un saludo macanudo.

    Dani from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a Dolls fan forever... the Heartbreakers sort of passed me by... going to try again... thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this wonderful labour of love. It was definitely time for this to happen.
    my only quip: I wonder why you used the "Lost" Mix of Baby Talk. I listened to a rip of the UK vinyl (in rather bad shape) but I remember liking that mix. Is there any chance you could upload your preferred vinyl version of Baby Talk in flac, and maybe your preferred LP version of One Track Mind as I recall that being a different (and great) mix as well? The single version (while great) sounds thinner and sharper (or, more compact) than the album tracks, especially the drums sound different, imo. All the best and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew we should have done a 3-CD set! Anyway, here are FLAC versions of Baby Talk & One Track Mind, ripped from the 3 original LP we have. OTM sounds very similar on every LP version, but BT mixes are not the same. Pick your favorite.
      Jean Philippe
      http://www.mediafire.com/?3q6b3g2aqe47dkm

      Delete
    2. Jean Philippe's right and by this only imagine HOW difficult was for us to pick up a version as the 'best', 'definitive' etc. We tried to use versions/mixes for all available to our hands pressings/releases to make 'L.A.M.F.T.M.J.B.' more 'flush' in a way...
      For example: We had three at least well recorded and executed of "Countdown Love" and due to the thing that we weren't 100% hot on this, we let it out.
      Of course any objections by your side guys and gals, are more than welcome! That's the main reason we 're doing this!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Jean Philippe, for putting up the different versions (italian versions are my faves). I, too, find it fascinating to compare the pressings, so thanks for the choice. I doubt that the tape is much better than the italian pressing.
      It was a stroke of genius to go for the alternate pressings and in the process you guys have come up with the definitive version of one of the greatest rock albums ever. Salut! (And the WAX cds rule!)
      As for Countdown Love, my favourite is the one on the Best Of Johnny Thunders bonus cd. Well, maybe there's gonna be a WAX bonus cd with the stuff you guys were about 80% hot on. ;) Big props again and have a great summer!

      Delete
  7. MANY thanks to you all! It's great to see (me and JP)the first 24 hours of this 'up' to get such a good reaction! You make us think from the hits and the downloads we get from the stats, that the WAX CDS are by far your favorite posts! Have a nice Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, we noticed that we have included a 'faulty' back sleeve from our hustle to present you our essay (missing credits). Not that's something you can't live without but since we got it here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?8ax403e2ia6dapu

      Delete
  8. You never fail to get me all excited about the WAX CDs, some of the best compilations in blogland. Thank you!!
    Cheers,
    MLP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greatly appreciated, fantastic job, and will be playing this all summer long (and on into forever!)

    And FWIW, I think it's cool how the site morphed from a straight music sharing blog into a high-quality custom comps blog....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, what DefChef say! Love it! Long Live WTS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FANTASTIC JOB AND RESEARCH! EXCELLENT!
    Mike Mariconda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic Job and research! Excellent!
    Mike Mariconda

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic Job and Research! Excellent!
    Mike Mariconda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Very very cool. Great job.
    Mohair

    ReplyDelete
  17. Back in the day I loved the original album, the songs and performances transcended Speedy keen's production. I hated "Revisited" and thought "The Lost '77 Mixes" a vast improvement. LAMF is an effin classic. I look forward to geeking out over your hard work. BTW the single of "Do You Love Me" was killer and the "77 mixes" don't quite capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really marvelous...you do tremendous work! Thanks!!!

    BTW I believe I have a copy of one of one of the items on your "want" list. How do I get it to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, contact me here:whitetrashsoul@gmail.com for more.

      Delete
  19. Enjoyed the blog. Sharp as a tack. Don't see Stray Cats...

    Can you tell me what kind of guitar Link Wray was playing in the 1978 video of Rumble...I would love to know. Thanks. cowartmd@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am very much looking forward to listening to this. My first experience of L.A.M.F. was from the UK Track first pressing and to be honest (sure it was a little muffled)I never had a problem listening to it. The 'revisited' hurts my ears, sounds too thin and horrible... and the lost mix is the next best thing to the original vinyl. I agree totally with the comment regarding the single version of 'Do you love me'... I used to play the single to death, the bass really cuts through... but the CD version just doesn't cut it.

    Thank you for all the hard work put into this.
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very good work ...and in flac... we can burn a cdr!
    Chapeau bas !
    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is super sounding. Would it be possible to just upload the UK, French, and Italian originals start to finish? That would be my dream, and save me hundreds of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a job....Great stuff....Hats off to yer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is SO great you guys! Thanks for all the work. Just discovered your very awesome blog. Top quality original art and work. Finding some great stuff here. Really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is splendid...what a commitment.
    Hats of to you for this post.
    Cheers Orvar66.

    Chatterbox Forum.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great work guys. Truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The links no longer function. Could you please re-up the links? It would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Are these files still available? The links above appear to have been shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  29. As above, links no longer work -- would love to hear this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dang! Missed it, too. A re-up in lossless would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Restored...Hehe!

    http://netkups.com/?d=ef0af02860075

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is awesome!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank the maker! Sometimes, dreams really do come true.

    ReplyDelete
  34. are these files down again. i suppose the glowing review from uncut magazine hasnt helped.a wonderful record mind though with over 250 mixes out there this remastering could be a recurring cash cow for somebody

    ReplyDelete
  35. How can I order the above LAMF cd as having already bought the 4 cd Jungle version I am dying to compare. I also think that the vinyl single version of One Track Mind is still the definitive version and that the Lost 77 mixes version sounds muddy!!

    This would appear to be the ultimate version done by fans for fans seeking the holy grail of the best sounding greatest rock and roll album of 77 bar none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rob, thanks for the interest. We don't sell anything. What we do is just for fun man and we are giving it for free. It's all for the love of rock & roll, hehe! Just copy & paste the above link and you will have it in lossless!

      Delete
  36. sorry. my fault. it works fine. thanks for all the hard work +dedication youve put into this project. i just love your obsession. if record companies were all run by true music lovers then this industry weouldnt be in such a mess. i love how the vocals have been mixed into these songs +how dirty the bass sounds. have you had a chance to compare this to discs 2+4 of the recentley released definitive edition. im old enough to own an original track lp bought in 1986 +this mix has taken me back to my teenage days bouncing off the walls. once again thank you very much. fleegle79

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate. Sorry for my late reply, too much things going on.
      Of course, the first thing we did JP and me when we bought this 'new' box was that - to compare. We had in our minds to gather up some opinions (by other friends/bloggers, musicians etc) about it but we gave up cause the links were paused and we didn't wanted to go against Jungle. We weren't afraid of course, that's why we re-up this again, but our intentions were never to shit on them - in fact the exact opposite. I'll tell you just this and believe me it has nothing to do with snotty attitude and shit. It's cool but they rushed things for Xmas market. And it's a pity cause they have such a vault and put out such a box... And the 'restored LP' to my ears at least sounds like a 'Revisited' attempt on the UK press. I mean, listen to the UK Cassette and to this restored thing... Nuff said, cause I don't wanna sound like some know-it-all jerk, and it's easy for someone to claim it, right?
      We're taking the chance to thank you ALL for the continuing support. We NEVER thought this fun project that would take so much grasp from your side!!!

      Delete
  37. I have finally now heard it and your LAMFTMJB is an absolute magnificent addition to the LAMF Cannon and yes some of your choices are I would say, the definative take. Well done I think from the various comments you have recieved the project has been well worth it.

    On the Jungle remaster of the 77 vinyl album I think it was very valid as you may have better versions of some tracks but at least it sounds better than the original UK pressing which I believe was the intention?

    I have now also accessed the Track cassette version which is yes superior in most cases but does appear to use some of the later, arguably superior mixes. What it does remind me is how weak and lacking in balls the LP version of 'Chines Rocks' sounded compared with even the rest of the album, but then that is perhaps inevitable as I had both 7 inch and 12 inch versions before the LP finally came out. You are right to have picked the 12 inch mix.

    Can someone direct me to an e-mail address for further geeky correspondence regarding what Thunders changed on "LAMF Revisited" as I would love to know. I am obviously aware of the Thunders retake of the vocal of "can't keep my eyes off you" which was fine by me as there are three different vocalists' version of it as a result. I know one track has some horrible unnecessary panning between speakers of a guitar solo and the version of 'Born to Lose' is an absolute disaster burying in the mix some of Thunders 'Hit it' add libs and one of the best guitar solos. At the time I thought it had a generally cleaner sound than the vinyl but was seven years too late while being aware that is was a rush job and not the definitive article. I thnk we now individually have the tools to make our own personal best choice with your wonderful addition!

    I agree on Raw Power the best would be to persuade James Williamson to get the master tapes and do his version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Firstly, thanks for the great music (and related writings). I'm only disappointed I didn't discover your blog sooner!
    For some reason,when I extract the files I get an error message and "Too Much Junkie Business"is left off. Twice! Has anyone else encountered this? It's probably too much to ask you if a reup of just this track (FLAC) is possible?;-)
    Regards
    SteveB (Sydney)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanx! Try to extract only the track and if it's not working, I'll make the upload.

      Delete
  39. last link of FLACs is dead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No man, it works. Check the one on Netkups (http://netkups.com/?d=ef0af02860075)

      Delete
  40. Mihaleez: Thanks for replying. I didn't know you could extract just 1 track. That would have been the solution - if I hadn't stupidly already deleted the RAR file! If it's not too much trouble, could you please re-upload "Too Much Junkie Business" and the front cover JPEG. Thanks a lot. Lesson learnt for next time.;-)
    Cheers
    SteveB (Sydney)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for re-ups Steve, link's still working! Just copy and paste the netkups address you can see just a comment above yours!

      Delete
  41. Hey friends !! Great great job ! Tanks a lot, buddies I Could write a lot about this but i ain't got the time ...Frantic City Bart told me you're friends... Have ya heard about his new band The Skeptics and about Magique Spencer Et Son Gros Pouvoir for whom he plays guitar...And do you know about this fuck ??? http://www.ioffer.com/i/the-cramps-my-daddy-drives-a-ufo-vol-2-525639874 .... @mour . Jean Pierre. Le Vicomte Rocka Rolla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for letting us know about these fuckers... The page doesn't exist now (at least it doesn't load on my browsers), but if you ever find something similar, please drop a line... Fucking leeches... It's been a while since the last time we talked with Johnny Pneumonia... Send him my regards!

      Delete
  42. http://www.ioffer.com/selling/kickingmozart Hey amigo !! Here's the link to this miserable fuck "store" ... Maybe you have some french friends who will be able to track him down !!! Some scumbags are selling my own old tapes like this... I recorded plenty of bands and still do... On Magique Spencer's siteyou'll be able to download for free the vinyl album we issued last year on my old label, ROCKA ROLLA... By the way, hope you'll enjoy my miserable bootlegger's blog !!! @mour from France !! Jean Pierre.

    ReplyDelete
  43. PS: https://soundcloud.com/mariaelenalyrics/intouchables-1982-10-19-bx-le
    Here's one of the two INTOUCHABLES gigs i recorded in Bordeaux in 1982 ... Les Intouchables were the unlucky band of HENRY PAUL TORTOSA wich he led with his then wife CHARLOTTE from 1979 to 1984 .... I guess i'll do some posting about it all, including their fabulous CBS tape... And stories, as Henri Paul is still alive and well in Paris and very recently in my studio too !! Watch out brothers !!! You can read some more about him here: http://thinkbabymusic.com/show-issue-articles/8 And please send yer wishes to him and to BILLY RATH cos these robusts rockers are goin' thru tough health issues ... The sky is like a mirror you know... https://soundcloud.com/henri-paul @mour Jean Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  44. PLEASE could you re-up the third link/file? Tried both links, now dead... Thanks! You are doing great things with this blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yes, I couldn't get the third link either. First two are great but would love to have this complete!

    ReplyDelete
  46. a labour of love...thank you, love Heartbreakers, love Johnny, love Rock´n´Roll...

    ReplyDelete
  47. hello can you reap the third link flac please;
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  48. hello can someone reap the third link in flac please. would be great
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  49. Can you re-up the third FLAC link as well as Unrough Powder? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hello, part 3 was removed, can you reupload it, please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Part 3 request over here as well. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Yes, the link for the third file is dead. I there any possibility the it could be re-posted?
    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  53. Is there any possibility that the part 3 link could be re-posted?
    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  54. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. trash can

    ReplyDelete
  55. Excellent work! The Italian LP has a blistering top end that really stands out from the other LP pressings. I used a parametric EQ setting of -3 db at 8k and -6 db at 16k on those Italian LP tracks to get them to match more with the other vinyl pressings.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hello! I can recommend a site that has helped me. I’s called WritePaper.Info They helped me for writing my quality research paper on diabetes, and of course by keeping my all other needs fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Just found this post... thanks for your efforts in producing this compilation - it's great stuff. Also enjoyed your efforts in sleuthing with regards to the original source of the problem with the album - interesting that it seems that France got different tapes from the UK for their pressing, I'd never heard that before.

    Ten years on from this, I wonder what you think of the new 'Found Masters' release, and if you ever got to hear the original UK cassette tape? I have it from way back in the day & would be happy to rip it for you if not. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete